Monday, December 31, 2012

The Ironic Story of Alfonso Cavallaro’s Forthcoming Publications

-->
Here is that true story from the family saga.  In 1942, my father submitted his “Serenade, “Tango,” and Theme, Variations, and Finale for publication to Carl Fischer Music.  He was advised that the latter – a magnificent composition, in my opinion – could not be considered at the time, because it was too difficult and would probably not generate a reasonable number of sales.  The publishers did accept the two shorter works, although they also requested that he agree to accept responsibility for distributing a set number of them himself (not an uncommon practice in the industry).  My father, who had a good number of private students, was not upset about the latter clause, but he was furious about the rejection of his finest composition for violin, so he declined the offer. 

Please fast-forward seventy years.  In 2012, I submitted the same three works to Broadbent and Dunn.  I have, of course, been overjoyed by their acceptance of the “Serenade,” and “Tango,” and I was not surprised that they wish to hold the major work in abeyance – at least long enough to see whether there is any interest in the composer’s shorter pieces.  This is certainly quite reasonable, and I have not even been asked to purchase any copies.  

I suspect that if my father were alive, he would be quite satisfied with my decision.  I certainly hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment