Friday, December 28, 2012

Music For Winds Under Editorial Revision

I was thrilled to receive a four-volume package from Forton Music this week.  The texts were "preview" copies of the music that will be released in early 2013, and I have eagerly begun to edit -- carefully!

This process has led to an interesting realization.  While readers routinely encounter -- and overlook or forgive -- a few "typos" in a published text, musicians simply cannot indulge in such a luxury.  Indeed, if a novelist writes about how a character  "had gone to Paris last spring" and misspells the verb (e.g., perhaps with an extra "n"), no one will misinterpret what the author intended.  In fact, many readers will be unaware of the error!  However, if music is published with a "sharp" where a "flat" was needed, or with a note misplaced on a given space or line, the sound will be completely different than what the composer wished to convey. 

Naturally, I shall endeavor to do as accurate a job as I possibly can.  [In truth, I'd rather spend my time creating more music!]

No comments:

Post a Comment